Re: A portable way to link in all objects

From: Ronald Landheer-Cieslak
Subject: Re: A portable way to link in all objects
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:59:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Robert Boehne wrote:
> Ronald,
>
> Libtool purposely does not support linking static libs into shared libs
> when it can help it, so even if a patch with a proper copyright
> assignment was posted, it wouldn't get past me.
The idea I was looking at is not linking static libs into shared ones:
it's linking static libs and shared libs into executables and having them
behave the same regardless of the platform. AFAIK, the gcc attributes
(constructor & destructor) are pretty platform-independant (i.e. if you
use gcc, they'll probably/portably work).

There may also be other side-effects to the difference between how shared
libraries are linked vs. how static libraries are linked (when dlopening
the executable, for exemple).

> I don't want libtool to have to drag around (i.e. maintain) code for
> 10,000 different platform-specific features that aren't available on all
> common systems.  It makes it harder for Libtool to do its real job,
> which is building well-designed software on any platform you can get
> your hands on.
I can see your point in not wanting to drag around specific code of
various different platforms (even though AFAICT there's already a lot of
specific code in Libtool..).

Are there any platforms that don't support linking in entire static
libraries? (the documentation for the --whole-archive option of GNU ld
doesn't say anything about it being specific to any kind of platform).

I don't want to nag, but I don't quite see how the "don't link shared libs
to static libs" argument comes into play.

rlc