-static, libgcc_s and libgcc_eh

From: Davy Durham
Subject: -static, libgcc_s and libgcc_eh
Date: 20 Jun 2003 10:03:41 -0500

Using: g++-3.2.2, linux

Hi, I don't know if this is an issue that I should have to deal with,
libtool should have to deal with, or if libFOX (my dependancy) should
have to deal with.

I compile FOX normally and it builds both static and dynamic versions of
the library.  It uses libtool.

Then I go to build my package.  My package also uses libtool.  If I add
-static to my linker flags then everything builds fine until the very
last link command.  The very last link command includes -lgcc_s because
it's in libFOX.la in the dependancy_libs.   So the link dies.

The problem is that there is no such thing as a static version of
libgcc_s.  (the 's' stands for 'shared').  When statically linking
libgcc_eh is to be used instead.

I check the FOX package and he's not manually adding -lgcc_s to the
linker flags, so his libtool is automatically adding it in the libFOX.la
AFAICT.

Any ideas?  Who should fix this?

Thanks,
  Davy