Re: How to disable relink on install?

From: Mike Hepburn
Subject: Re: How to disable relink on install?
Date: 30 Jun 2003 16:42:43 +0100

Alex,

i found this description on the web -:

"Because the executable that libtool creates (.libs/ld-new) is meant to
be installed, but when you want to run it in the build directory you
want to make sure that it finds the shared libraries in the build
directory, not the ones that may be installed earlier.  To achieve this,
libtool relinks the binary with a special set of --rpath options
pointing into the build directory.  This is done everytime the actual
binary is rebuilt.  There is an option to libtool
(--disable-fast-install) that tells it to do the relinking at install
time, and the binary in the build directory is built with the
appropriate --rpath options in the first place.  All this is
required because --rpath has precedence over LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  On
systems were it doesn't libtool just uses LD_LIBRARY_PATH to achieve the
same effect."

Cheers
Mike