Re: Creating lock file for compilers that don't support -c -o

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Creating lock file for compilers that don't support -c -o
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 13:46:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Albert Chin wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 10:56:47AM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> > > They may be on different fs's.
> >
> > Right.  It is possible for libtool, the source files, and the object
> > files, to reside on three different file systems.
>
> So it looks like we have no alternative but to create a small program
> at runtime that creates a file with O_CREAT|O_EXCL?

This is not any better than creating a file in the object directory
when libtool is first run which can be used for link-based locking.
The user (i.e.  Makefile) would be responsible for removing the file
(if the user chooses to).  If the small program is created and removed
every time libtool is run, the performance would be terrible.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden