Re: LD_RUN_PATH not adding paths when building with shared libs

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: LD_RUN_PATH not adding paths when building with shared libs
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:05:24 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: LD_RUN_PATH not adding paths when building with shared...:

>On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:36:50PM -0500, Tim Mooney wrote:
>
>> Are you assuming LD_RUN_PATH is something that's honored on IRIX because
>> you've seen it honored on other platforms (e.g. Solaris?).  If you've
>> seen it documented somewhere that it should work on IRIX, can you provide
>> information on where I should look?
>
>The original problem was the built binary was not finding libgcc.  The
>first solution was to use LD_RUN_PATH and --disable-shared which worked.

[this isn't really an autoconf issue, so I'm removing autoconf from the
Cc: list]

I would imagine that just --disable-shared would have been all that was
needed -- LD_RUN_PATH is just a red herring in this case.

>On linux --disable-shared allowed the use of LD_RUN_PATH (because of
>lack of --rpath at link time).  So I assume that's what was happening.
>
>But, on IRIX with --disable-shared libgcc does not show up in ldd
>output.

It's apparently caused libgcc to be linked statically, then.

>Another solution was to use -R /path/to/libgcc in LDFLAGS.  That also
>works at building the program but then libgcc is shown in ldd output
>(and they commented they might want to use the binary on another IRIX
>machine without libgcc installed).

Then their only option is to link libgcc in statically.

>I don't understand why --disable-shared would make that difference.
>This project uses libtool to create a library, and then links it into
>our program.
>
>I thought --disable-shared prevented the creation of the shared library
>(that we are building in our project).  On linux when I use
>--disable-shared ldd swish-e no longer shows libswish-e, but that's the
>only difference.  So now I wonder why their tests on IRIX showed that
>--disable-shared also statically linked in libgcc.

It does seem there's a discrepancy in how it behaves across platforms, if
what you're saying is true.

I no longer have the original email that showed the commands executed and
the output, but it might be useful to see the libtool command that's being
run to create the shared library, followed by the commands that libtool is
executing on your behalf, and similar libtool/underlying commands for when
`swish-e' is linked.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden