Réf. : Re: ltmain.sh and configure

From: alain . bonnefoy
Subject: Réf. : Re: ltmain.sh and configure
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 14:47:02 +0200

Hi Max,

Sorry for the mistake but in fact I invoke "libtoolize -f -c' and 'automake-1.7
-a -c '!
Anyway, I get a new ltmain.sh, the one is stored in my libtool (1.4.3)
directory.
So, either ltmain.sh is bad in libtool-1.4.3 (I don't think so) or the source
file which creates the following line (I don't which one) is bad:
   library_names_spec='${libname}${release}${shared_ext}$versuffix
${libname}${release}${shared_ext}$major $libname${shared_ext}'

I think the problem is here but where that libray_names_spec comes from?

Alain.

"Ellen Bowsher" <address@hidden> le 09/09/2003 14:33:16

Pour :    Alain BONNEFOY/Valence, address@hidden
cc :

Objet :   Re: ltmain.sh and configure

address@hidden wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm swimming in a libiconv protage on QNX and I have a problem with shared
> library namming.
>
> First, the original configure script in libiconv-1.9.1 doesn't know the
QNX
> platform.
> After some discussions with a QNX people, I got the informations to
rebuild
> all the corresponding files.
> It seems that I have to invoke the followng commands, based on
libtool-1.4.3.

> #>libtoolize -a -c

You probably wanted -f in addition to the other options.

> #>aclocal-1.7
> #>automake-1.7 -f -c
> #>autoconf
>
> then
>
> #>configure
> #>make
>
> Everything runs fine except that I get libiconv.2.0 instead of
> libiconv.so.1.2. same for the soname.
>
> The command in configure is:
>   library_names_spec='${libname}${release}${shared_ext}$versuffix
> ${libname}${release}${shared_ext}$major $libname${shared_ext}'
>
> After some investigation and discussion with qnx peoples and the libiconv
> developper, I found that libtool.m4 contains the following line:
>
>>   1085 4:shrext=".so"
>
> the original ltmain.sh (from libiconv-1.9.1, don't which libtool version)
> contains the following line
>
>    2756         eval shared_ext=\"$shrext\"
>
> Unfortunately, ltmain.sh from libtool-1.4.3 doesn't contain the same eval.
So
> I define shrext and use shared_ext.
>
> That means I have a dependancy problem but I don't know what to update. I
> wanted to try libtool-1.5 but it that's a simple ghost!!

I don't understand this last sentence.

> Any idea about my problem??

You have a version mismatch between ltmain.sh and libtool.m4.

I suspect that because you did not use the --force option to libtoolize, you
are still using the ltmain.sh that shipped with libiconv, but because you
have run aclocal, the contents of a later version of libtool.m4 have been
installed in aclocal.m4, and then copied into configure by autoconf.

Max.