Re: Link performance: some numbers and a hack

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Link performance: some numbers and a hack
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 00:01:48 +0900

Iñaki García Etxebarria wrote:

> Is there any need for dependency_libs (in .la files, that is) in linux,
> or other platforms where you can put dependency info into the lib
> itself?
>
> I ask because I have been trying to improve the abysmal link time for
> some gnome apps[1], and come to a simple "worksforme fix"

dependency_libs will be needed by static archives where, as far as I am
aware, it is impossible to encode dependency info into the lib on any
platform. It is, of course, also needed on platforms which do not encode
this info into shared libraries.

Patches which improve speed and cause no harm will be accepted. Note
that libtool is called most often in compile mode, improvements there
will likely have the greater overall effect.

Peter