RE: Link performance: some numbers and a hack

From: Iñaki García Etxebarria
Subject: RE: Link performance: some numbers and a hack
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 17:18:54 +0200

> Static libs on every platform need to have this dependency info.
Oops, I didn't consider that. Sure.

In any case, I'm not talking about removing this info but simply
ignoring it when linking dynamic libs (which I guess is the situation
95% of the time on platforms with dynamic libs).
The algorithm should be something like (in linux):
- include_dynamic(libfoo):
        read libfooname.so from libfoo.la and pass to gcc [but ignore
        dependency_libs]
- include_static(libfoo):
        as currently done in libtool since we need the deps.
Does this make any sense? One potential problem I can see is the case
when libfoo.so has been linked against a static lib itself, will this
break things?

When the time to generate the .la file comes, libtool would include the
dependencies just as it does now.

Comments?,
Iñaki