Re: only static libraries created

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: only static libraries created
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:20:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 address@hidden wrote:

> I want to compile gtkhtml2 (libgtkhtml) for windows,
> I use MinGW (gcc-3.2.3) and cygwin.
>
> My problem is that only static libraries are created,
> no .dlls. What could be the reason for this?

Alas, it is necessory for all libraries that your DLL depends on to
also be built as DLLs.

> The problem is that the library consists of some
> sub-packages (sub-directories) that are linked together
> before the whole library is created. For those sub-
> packages just static library files (.a) are created,
> I suppose there should be .dlls that can be linked to
> the toplevel library, to avoid warnings like:
>
> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
> c:/libpath/lib/libfoo.la.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
>
> As a consequence, no .dll is created in the toplevel
> directory, that should include all the sub-packages.
>
> I use the -no-undefined LDFLAG (set as an environment
> variable for configure), is this still necessary for
> libtool-1.5? I also tried to add the macro
> AC_PROG_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL to Makefile.in, but this
> made no difference, i read somewhere on the net that
> this is not required anymore.

Since Windows DLLs do not allow undefined symbols, a requirement to
build a DLL using libtool is to include the -no-undefined option,
otherwise a static library will be built.

Libtool 1.5 is much better at enforcing these rules than former
versions of libtool.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden