Re: only static libraries created

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: only static libraries created
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:32:03 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Bernhard Rumpler wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Guido Draheim wrote:
> > address@hidden wrote:
> > > *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
> > > c:/libpath/lib/libfoo.la.
> >    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > How did you do that? -- guido
>
> Since libtool on cygwin usually generates unix/cygwin-style paths
> (starting with /cygdrive/[...]), MinGW-gcc was not able to link some of
> the newly generated libraries (.a). That's why I modified the respective
> .la file of the library and set 'libdir' to the correct path of the
> library file (and installed to 'yes'). Otherwise I was not able to
> proceed.

Cygwin and MinGW tools differ significantly in that Cygwin tools deal
with Unix paths while MinGW tools accept Windows paths.

The easiest way to deal with MinGW is to use the MSYS shell which
provides a limited Cygwin-like shell capable of supporting configure,
make, and libtool, while automatically transforming Unix paths into
the Windows paths that the tools require.

While Cygwin does provide a compiler mode in which it may compile
programs which use the MinGW library, there may be some problems with
crossing over between the two environments.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden