Re: Installing in a staging area

From: Sander Niemeijer
Subject: Re: Installing in a staging area
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:34:05 +0200

From the Automake documentation:

"Automake generates support for the DESTDIR variable in all install rules. DESTDIR is used during the make install step to relocate install objects into a staging area. Each object and path is prefixed with the value of DESTDIR before being copied into the install area."

Why not use a 'make DESTDIR=/usr/local/staging/appname install'?

Your installables will be copied to a different location ('/usr/local/staging/appname/usr/local/lib' instead of '/usr/local/staging/appname/lib'), but I guess that will only require minor changes to any post-install script you might have.

Regards,
Sander