Re: should libtool check for the correct version of find?

From: Richard Dawe
Subject: Re: should libtool check for the correct version of find?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:09:24 +0100

Hello.

Matthew Arnison wrote:
> libtool appears to depend on Unix find. Under Cygwin, an incorrect path can
> cause the Windows FIND to be used instead. To the untrained eye, (that is,
> me two days ago) it's not obvious from the output of configure and libtool
> that this has happened. The only warning I got was this:
>
> FIND: Parameter format not correct
>
> buried in the make output. The make does not actually fail until about a
> page later in the transcript when a link fails with a series of "undefined
> reference" errors.
>
> My suggestion is that libtool should get configure to check for the correct
> version of find (i.e. Unix find not WINDOWS find) as part of checking the
> general environment. I feel that configure's job is to check that all the
> correct tools are in place to do a build, so if libtool is used, then
> configure/libtool should check which find is being run.
[snip]

Won't fixing libtool or configure just hide the problem for every other
script/program that uses Unixy find out there?

FWIW a similar problem exists for DJGPP, a port of GNU tools to DOS/Windows.
If DJGPP's bin directory doesn't occur before the Windows ones, then all bets
are off.

Bye, Rich =]

--
Richard Dawe [ http://www.phekda.freeserve.co.uk/richdawe/ ]