Re: libtool pre-1.5b tests fail on 9 debian arches

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: libtool pre-1.5b tests fail on 9 debian arches
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 05:06:20 +0000

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 02:36:13AM +0100, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> Actually if it was branch-1-5 you were testing, that'd be the new 1.5.0a
> (1.5.1) release.  1.5b would be on HEAD (as far as I understand the
> esoteric version numbering upstream use) and a pre-release of
> libtool 1.6 (which we know Gary wants to get out of the door alongside
> Autoconf 2.58 and Automake 1.8).

Gary asked me to test branch-1-5, although he didn't put it very clear wether
that branch is for 1.5b or 1.5.0a. Gary, please could you clarify?

> Use the Debian libtool package, not only do I currently track CVS rather
> than use the pure 1.5 release, there are additional Debian patches added
> to make it work on some of the architectures.

It's not the Debian libtool package which is (generaly) used by upstream
maintainers to update their libtools. My concern is with upstream packages
using upstream libtool, hence the Debian package is not relevant.

> Getting these patches accepted upstream is tricky though, I've sent some
> bug fixes through.  A few days ago I decided to have a go getting some
> of the portability patches (some of which are large) accepted, I mailed
> the smallest (yet one of the more far-reaching ones) to -patches;
> haven't had any follow-up yet though.

My patch sending policy involves pinging them after a week of not responding,
then periodicaly pinging them at increased rate. It's quite effective.

Could you try merging all the other patches, so that we can reliably test
libtool on all of Debian's arches?

> FWIW, I've run the same tests on Debian unstable with the Debian libtool
> 1.5-2 package.  I've also tried to ascertain *why* tests are failing, it
> would've been nice if you could've done the same (or perhaps you're
> working on that?)

Actualy not. I don't have time to do that, nor experience with cpu porting
thingies like endianess, alignment or such.

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T, Ainulindale (Silmarillion)