Re: only static libraries created

From: Bernhard Rumpler
Subject: Re: only static libraries created
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 16:57:55 +0200

Tor Lillqvist wrote:
I have found that to ensure a mixture of Cygwin-based tools (for
instance shell scripts that run under a Cygwin shell, or Cygwin Perl
scripts) and native (mingw) tools interoperate reliably one needs to
make sure that the same paths are valid (and point to the same files)
in both. This isn't that hard. If you have sources in for instance
e:\some\place, and do your builds there, make sure that e:\some is
mounted in Cygwin as /some. And if you do "make installs", and/or use
installed libraries and headers for some package, make sure that the
same holds for the installation location, and that it is on the same
drive. (For instance if you install to, or use stuff installed in,
e:\another\place, mount e:\another as /another.)

which kind of problems can be avoided with this setup?

One problem for me is that (even if I mount c: as /c) libtool always
creates unix-style paths (e.g., /c/somewhere/.libs/libfoo.la) but
mingw-gcc does not understand that. The problem is that this always
occurs, when a library is built and the source code is organized
in a number of subdirectories, and intermediate .a and .la files
are generated for the subdirectories, which are then used to build
up the .dll (or some other .a files) in higher level directories.

@ Tor:
This probem also occurs for some files, if I build glib-2.2.3, how
do you avoid this when you build glib? Does your setup with mounting
directories have any influence on this?

For now I always have to modify the respective .la files of the
.a files in the subdirectories, to be able to link them. For this
I set library_name (?? is this OK??) to the name of the .a file,
installed=yes and the libdir to the respective .libs directory
containing the .a file. Not a very good solution, and I'm also quite
unsure, if this can cause problems.

thanks for any hints,
Bernhard