Forcing shared libaries

From: Patrick Riley
Subject: Forcing shared libaries
Date: 06 Oct 2003 14:04:10 -0400

Hi all,

I've got a project which I am in the process of converting to using
autoconf, automake, and libtool. [1]

The project builds several libraries and executables. For one of the
libraries, I would like to force libtool to only create shared
libraries, not static libraries no matter what the user gives to
configure (for the use being made of the library, only a shared library
makes sense). The other libraries should still obey the various
enable/disable shared/static directives.

Ideally, I would like to do this without having to do a recursive
configure. If I do have to do a recursive configure, is it
desirable/possible/how do I only have one copy of the libtool things in
my distribution?

Thank you.

[1] The project is http://spades-sim.sf.net. Only the CVS version has
GNU autotool stuff because, as I said, I'm in the midst of conversion. I
also don't think the code is very portable yet, so you might have
problems if you actually try to compile it.

--
Patrick Riley
Fifth Year Ph.D. Student