bootstrapping CVS libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: bootstrapping CVS libtool
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:41:15 -0600 (CST)

I am trying to get the current CVS libtool properly bootstrapped. The
libtool bootstrap script says that GNU autoconf 2.58 and GNU automake
1.8 are required.  There is no such thing as automake 1.8 yet.  I
retrieved a package called automake-1.7d from alpha.gnu.org but it is
not clear what it really is (the NEWS file is extended over the one
from 1.7.9).

Using Autoconf 2.58 with this automake did not succeed to bootstrap
libtool.

After checking out the latest automake from CVS, I see that it
requires Autoconf 2.58a or higher. Autoconf 2.58 is not sufficient.
I don't see an available release higher than 2.58.

After installing from the head of autoconf and automake CVS, I tried
boostrapping libtool again.  The boostrap process results in tens of
warnings similar to:

/usr/local/share/aclocal/ORBit.m4:4: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_ORBIT.

Running configure still does not result in a libtool script so I get
this error:

/home/bfriesen/src/gnu/libtool'
CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_COMMANDS=libtool
/usr/local/bin/bash ./config.status
config.status: executing libtool commands
chmod +x libtool
chmod: libtool: No such file or directory
gmake[1]: *** [libtool] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bfriesen/src/gnu/libtool'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

What incantations are currently necessary to bootstrap libtool?

What package releases will be required to support the forthcoming
libtool release?

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden