Re: bootstrapping CVS libtool

From: Scott James Remnant
Subject: Re: bootstrapping CVS libtool
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 17:02:54 +0000

On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 16:41, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I am trying to get the current CVS libtool properly bootstrapped. The
> libtool bootstrap script says that GNU autoconf 2.58 and GNU automake
> 1.8 are required.  There is no such thing as automake 1.8 yet.  I
> retrieved a package called automake-1.7d from alpha.gnu.org but it is
> not clear what it really is (the NEWS file is extended over the one
> from 1.7.9).
>
> Using Autoconf 2.58 with this automake did not succeed to bootstrap
> libtool.

I use Autoconf 2.58 and Automake 1.7 (latest Debian packages, basically)
to bootstrap and it works just fine.

The gotcha is that for some reason aclocal pulls in both m4/libtool.m4
AND /usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 into aclocal.m4 and puts the latter
last, so its macros get used.

> Running configure still does not result in a libtool script so I get
> this error:
>
> /home/bfriesen/src/gnu/libtool'
> CONFIG_FILES= CONFIG_HEADERS= CONFIG_COMMANDS=libtool
> /usr/local/bin/bash ./config.status
> config.status: executing libtool commands
> chmod +x libtool
> chmod: libtool: No such file or directory
> gmake[1]: *** [libtool] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bfriesen/src/gnu/libtool'
> gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I think this is because it's using the old libtool.m4, have you tried
removing that from your aclocal directory and seeing if it works from
clean then?

Scott
--
Have you ever, ever felt like this?