Re: configuring libltdl

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: Re: configuring libltdl
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:56:56 +0100

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 03:35:25PM +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> If so, all we need is to add a call to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE to
> AC_LIB_LTDL.  Hmmm, but then if a non-automake project calls
> AC_LIB_LTDL, when they run autoreconf, it will run automake -a :-(

Running automake in this case sounds sensible to me.
  1) You need to have libltdl/Makefile.in regenerated with the
     automake version that matches the aclocal version used to rebuild
     aclocal.m4
  2) automake should only rebuild the Makefile.in which have a matching
     Makefile.am.  So this is a no-op for the rest of the project.

Unfortunately I think it won't work, because autoreconf probes for a
Makefile.am in the top-level directory to decide whether automake must
be run.  (BTW, assuming the file is named Makefile.am is not always
correct.)  It should be easy to fix autoreconf, though.

What is likely to fail with such a scheme are the automatic rebuild
rules for libltdl/Makefile.in.  They assume the top-level Makefile
contains some special rules to rebuilds things.