Re: configuring libltdl

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: configuring libltdl
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:37:59 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> I don't really want to take on the burden of hand maintaining an enormous
> generated Makefile.in, when maintaining a tiny Makefile.am and enhancing
> automake a little to help with generation is possible.
>
> Why not try adding AC_REQUIRE([AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE]) to AC_LIB_LTDL and enumerate
> the problems... it will be interesting to find out how much pain there is at
> least :-)

The issues I mention are primarily philosophical and religious.
There is a subversive element of open source society that is willing
to use Autoconf and Libtool, but not Automake.  The FreeType and
libJPEG projects come to mind.  If AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is used, then
Automake must be installed in order to maintain the package, even if
the dependent package uses JAM, GNU make, BSD make, Imake, or
hand-coded traditional make.

As for me, I am one of the Automake believers.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden