Re: methinks libtool is too smart?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: methinks libtool is too smart?
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 17:59:48 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I need to link
>       g++ -o foo foo.a -lcommon -lhw -lcommon -lhw
>
> So using an autoconf system, I have arule which looks like:
>
>  libtool -n -mode=link g++ -o foo ../common/libCommon.la
> ../common/libCommon.la
> and libtool translates this into:
> g++ -o foo  ../common/.libs/libCommon.a
>
> How can I get it to duplicate the libraries? (for now?)

Why is using an absolute path to the libraries a problem?  There is a
very good reason to do things the way libtool does.  The reason is
that system linkers commonly select shared libraries over static
libraries regardless of the library search path.  You would not want
to pick up some other shared library by mistake.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden