Re: Terrible problem with latest CVS libtool

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Terrible problem with latest CVS libtool
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:46:13 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

> + eval 'lt_SHELL=\"`$echo "X$SHELL" | $Xsed -e "$sed_quote_subst"`\"'
> +++ echo X/bin/sh
>
> Your eval is doing something odd, is it stopping at the pipe?  Note that I see
> extra `+'s, maybe the value of echo is not being expanded inside the evaled
> backtick expression for you?

Maybe not.  As mentioned before, the issue is OS dependent (exists on
IRIX and AIX) and does not seem to depend on if GNU sed and bash are
used.

> Note how the expression you get passed to eval is quoted differently, I have
> single quotes around the entire expression, and a level of escaped double
> quote marks for the value assigned to lt_SHELL.  Maybe you have found a
> quoting bug in the code that builds the eval line?

Probably so.

> | + lt_SHELL=`print -r
> | config.status[527]: X/bin/sh:  not found
> | + $Xsed -e $sed_quote_subst`\
> | config.status[527]: $Xsed:  not found
>
> Again, a variable set in the parent shell doesn't appear to have propogated
> into the eval environment...
>
> Does this give you a bit more to go on?  What happens in the equivalent
> section of libtool-1.5, or 1-5a from before 2003-10-21?

Libtool dated prior to 2003-10-21 worked fine on all the hosts I threw
it at.  The problem occured after the change to write libtool from
config.status.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden