Libtool and C API: ld: common symbols not allowed

From: Till Quack
Subject: Libtool and C API: ld: common symbols not allowed
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:43:54 -0800

We are trying to build a library with GNU libtool (For Perl Inline::CPP)
on OS X Panther with the C API from mysql (And some other libraries like
Magick, which don't cause problems).

When using the libtool we get the following error:

libtool -dynamic KnnSearch.o ../common/extractors/htd/HtdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/htd/FFT.o ../common/extractors/ehd/EhdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/scd/ScdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/dcd/DcdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/dcd/readparam.o
../common/imageutilities/ImageData.o
../common/imageutilities/ImageInterface.o
../common/imageutilities/ImageConversion.o
../common/descriptors/HTDescriptor.o
../common/descriptors/EHDescriptor.o
../common/descriptors/SCDescriptor.o
../common/descriptors/DCDescriptor.o ../common/utilities/FileString.o
../common/utilities/DistanceMultiMap.o
../common/MysqlClient/MysqlClient.o -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient
-lstdc++ -lSystem -L/usr/local/lib -lMagick++ -lgcc -lz -lm
-o libKnnSearch.dylib
ld: for architecture ppc
ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
-multi_module option
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_error.o) definition of common
_errbuff (size 512)
libtool: internal link edit command failed

A similar problem has been discussed in
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2003-07/msg00104.html
However, we were not able to deduct any clues for our problem from this.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue are highly appreciated.

Till

---
Till Quack
ECE Department