Re: Libtool and C API: ld: common symbols not allowed

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Libtool and C API: ld: common symbols not allowed
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:03:59 +0900

Till Quack wrote:

We are trying to build a library with GNU libtool (For Perl Inline::CPP)
on OS X Panther with the C API from mysql (And some other libraries like
Magick, which don't cause problems).

When using the libtool we get the following error:

libtool -dynamic KnnSearch.o ../common/extractors/htd/HtdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/htd/FFT.o ../common/extractors/ehd/EhdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/scd/ScdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/dcd/DcdExtractor.o
../common/extractors/dcd/readparam.o
../common/imageutilities/ImageData.o
../common/imageutilities/ImageInterface.o
../common/imageutilities/ImageConversion.o
../common/descriptors/HTDescriptor.o
../common/descriptors/EHDescriptor.o
../common/descriptors/SCDescriptor.o
../common/descriptors/DCDescriptor.o ../common/utilities/FileString.o
../common/utilities/DistanceMultiMap.o
../common/MysqlClient/MysqlClient.o -L/usr/local/mysql/lib -lmysqlclient
-lstdc++ -lSystem -L/usr/local/lib -lMagick++ -lgcc -lz -lm
-o libKnnSearch.dylib
ld: for architecture ppc
ld: common symbols not allowed with MH_DYLIB output format with the
-multi_module option
/usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_error.o) definition of common
_errbuff (size 512)
libtool: internal link edit command failed A similar problem has been discussed in http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2003-07/msg00104.html
However, we were not able to deduct any clues for our problem from this.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue are highly appreciated.

Till

The libtool you are using here is not GNU libtool, it is the one in /usr/bin which is an entirely different beast.

However, to solve your problem, use the -fno-common flag to gcc when compiling the objects.

Thanks,
Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com