Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.2 released

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.2 released
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 10:04:23 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Daniel Reed wrote:

> On 2004-01-25T14:47-0000, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> ) The Libtool Team is pleased to announce the release of GNU Libtool
> ) 1.5.2.
>
> Since there does not appear to be any C++ code (.cc, .cxx, .C) in libtool,
> would it be possible for the next release of libtool to not:

Yes, 1.6 will include a facility for specifying which languages to
configure libtool for.  There was a judgement call not to add it to
1.5.2 since it is a new feature.

> checking for dlfcn.h... yes
> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
> configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
> See `config.log' for more details.
>

> [config.log]
> configure:5791: /lib/cpp  conftest.cc
> cpp: conftest.cc: C++ compiler not installed on this system
> configure:5797: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:

In my opinion, this is the most grevious existing libtool bug.  The
problem is that Autoconf's /lib/cpp tests abort configure if /lib/cpp
fails.  However, it may be seen that this is really an Autoconf bug
since Autoconf should only require cpp to work for a language if a
header is actually tested for in that language.  Libtool does not test
for any headers using C++ (as far as I am aware).

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden