Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.2 released

From: Andreas Schwab
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.2 released
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 17:49:40 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:

>> [config.log]
>> configure:5791: /lib/cpp  conftest.cc
>> cpp: conftest.cc: C++ compiler not installed on this system
>> configure:5797: $? = 1
>> configure: failed program was:
>
> In my opinion, this is the most grevious existing libtool bug.  The
> problem is that Autoconf's /lib/cpp tests abort configure if /lib/cpp
> fails.  However, it may be seen that this is really an Autoconf bug
> since Autoconf should only require cpp to work for a language if a
> header is actually tested for in that language.  Libtool does not test
> for any headers using C++ (as far as I am aware).

Moreover it is wrong to use /lib/cpp for *anything* but C code, IMHO.  In
recent SuSE versions /lib/cpp has been changed to force C languages mode
on the preprocessor to workaround that bug.

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, SuSE Labs, address@hidden
SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany