Re: relink_command quoting bug

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: relink_command quoting bug
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:03:21 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Scott James Remnant wrote:

> We already did that some time ago, if you search -patches passim. you'll
> find I did that and found an even bigger problem...
>
> When directory names contain spaces the following kinda breaks...
>
> deplibs="-L/path/to/directory with/spaces in/its filename -lfoo -lbar"
> for deplib in $deplibs...
>
> ie most of Libtool breaks.  I figured at that point we aught to just
> flat out not support spaces in directory names and simply error if we
> see them.

Just because it will take some work to accomplish does not mean that
allowing/supporting spaces in path names should not be an objective.

Some environments (e.g. Windows) include spaces in the standard user
environment so not supporting spaces requires that the user build
outside of their "home" directory and install to some place other than
"Program Files".

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden