Re: libtool 1.4.3 searches /usr/lib before -L<dir>

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4.3 searches /usr/lib before -L<dir>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 16:29:22 -0600 (CST)

In regard to: libtool 1.4.3 searches /usr/lib before -L<dir>, Pieter...:

>I've asked for help about this problem twice in the last
>few weeks, without any replies.

I saw your posts, but don't recall whether this is something you've
tried with libtool 1.5.2 or not.  Have you?  The libtool developers
have expressed extreme reluctance to spend much time on code that is
an evolutionary dead end.  All new work is going into the 1.5.x and
later lines of development.

>In the meantime I've done some searching in the libtool
>list history, and I came across this:
>
>http://www.mail-archive.com/address@hidden/msg04324.html

If you download libtool 1.4.3 and look at ltmain.in, you'll see about
a dozen places where

        newlib_search_path

is set to something.  In each case, the assignment ends up looking like

        newlib_search_path="$newlib_search_path <something else here>"

If you try systematically changing these to

        newlib_search_path="<something else here> $newlib_search_path"

you should eventually be able to arrive at the combination of settings
that are causing the problem for you.  My *guess* (and that's all it is)
is that it's either the place where it's under a "case" for `-L', or it's
the place where you have

        newlib_search_path="$newlib_search_path $ladir"

Do some testing, and report back what you find.  Better yet, test with
libtool 1.5.2.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden