Re: func_infer_tag() broken

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: func_infer_tag() broken
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 14:07:12 +0100

At a slight tangent; maybe m4sh could provide a shell function calling macro
(off the top of my head):

Isn't this a bit heavyweight?

| It should be even with an integer return value.  If you are at the
| end of a function (or in an if just before the end of the function, you
| got it) it is possible to replace it with (exit NUM), but I don't see a
| good reason to do so.

Doesn't the exit actually terminate the script for (at least) some shells?

No, it is in a subshell. Anyway it is among the shell function features that m4sh now explicitly tests. It will complain at the start of the script (telling to write to address@hidden even if shell functions are not used, and also bailing out if they are).

BTW, we're thinking of moving the generation of ltmain.sh to m4sh when the
shell function support in autoconf pans out...

It is already there. There is the detection system outlined above; plus, a single macro is provided, AS_REQUIRE_SHELL_FN, which outputs the function into the initialization section of the script. That's basically all you need. Feel free to mail for help.

Paolo