Re: Suggestion

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Suggestion
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:56:25 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Rob Wyrick wrote:

> Libtool doesn't use DESTDIR.... The makefiles (autoconf/automake) use
> DESTDIR.
> When the *.la files are built, libtool puts a line like
>     libdir=/some/path/to/a/lib/dir
> in it.  Then, when you try to install via 'make install'  which, in turn
> call libtool --mode=install
> libtool will refuse to install into any directory EXCEPT what was
> specified in the .la file.
> It breaks, therefore, if you try to use DESTDIR= or prefix= arguments to
> the 'make install'
> command.

What version of libtool are you using?  A DESTDIR install certainly
works with the version of libtool that I am using.  Libtool does the
install, but it warns that 'libtool --finish' should be used when the
libraries are copied to their intended location.

There was a time when this was not so.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden