Re: Dlopening documentation

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Dlopening documentation
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:37:32 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Albert Chin wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:29:16PM +0000, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:
> > If @var{dlname} is empty, then the library cannot be dlopened.
> > Otherwise, it gives the dlname of the library.  So, if the library was
> > installed as @file{/usr/local/lib/libhello.la}, and the @var{dlname} was
> > @file{libhello.so.3}, then @file{/usr/local/lib/libhello.so.3} should be
> > dlopened.
> >
> > If your program uses this approach, then it should search the
> > directories listed in the @address@hidden@code{LIBPATH}
> > on AIX, and @code{SHLIB_PATH} on HP-UX.} environment variable, as well as
> > the directory where libraries will eventually be installed.  Searching
> > this variable (or equivalent) will guarantee that your program can find
> > its dlopened modules, even before installation, provided you have linked
> > them using libtool.
> >

> > I have a feeling that this is all done automatically by lt_dlopen.  If it
> > isn't then it should be...
>
> Yes, it should be. BTW, how do we handle the case where
> need_lib_prefix!=no?

I assume that the .la file will be installed with the name used in the
Makefile (i.e. specified to libtool), but that within the .la file,
the name of the shared library/module to load will be specified
appropriately according to target system requirements.  The
application should use the .la file name which was specified in the
build.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden