Suggestion

From: Robert Wyrick
Subject: Suggestion
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 00:43:44 -0600 (CST)

I'm developing a package manager that aids users in installing
sofware (from source) into their home directories.  Packages
are managed in a way VERY MUCH like GNU stow.  The significant
feature of stow (and my package manager) is that there is a
distinction between runtime directories and install directories.

I've noticed that some packages that utilize libtool have
problems with this because libtool has checks that make it
refuse to install libraries into a directory that doesn't
start with the location it was informed of at "configure"
time.  libtool has no concept of separate runtime/install
time directories.

If libtool were compatible with stow, then it would also work
for my situation.  Since libtool and stow are both GNU projects,
I thought I'd point out the discrepency in hopes that you
might fix it.

-Rob Wyrick