Question on libltdl & autobook & freebsd

From: Jay West
Subject: Question on libltdl & autobook & freebsd
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 16:23:29 -0500

FreeBSD 4.9
libtool 1.5
automake 1.75
autoconf 2.57

I'm new to autoconf & friends. I'm going through the autobook and reading
how all things are supposed to work. So far I've got my project GNUized
pretty much and most of it I think I have a basic handle on. However, now
I'm moving into a section of my project which I'd like to use libltdl with.
On freeBSD, libtool is apparently configured by default to not install
libltdl. It appears to build it, but not install the libltdl library and
ltdl.h into /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include. Side question - does
anyone know why this is turned off by default? No big deal, just curious.

I am having trouble getting a source that wants to use "lt_dlopen" to
compile. I did a libtoolize -ltdl, added the snippets to configure.in that
the autobook says are the right incantations, but it's still not finding
them when I go to build it. I want to try to figure this out on my own, but
I'd like someone to nudge me down one of two paths...

When the main source program wanting to use lt_dlopen attempts to link
against libltdlc (convenience library built in my development directory in
libltdl directory), should it be looking in my own libltdl directory (the
one created by libtoolize -ltdl) for that library, or using what is
installed (supposed to be anyways) in  /usr/local/lib? I would think it
should be looking in my libltdl directory, not on the system, so that when
someone gets my distribution they don't have to have libtool/libltdl
installed on their system as a prerequisite. The examples given in the
autobook all show calling libtool directly instead of with automake. I
searched the mailing list archives for this list for "libltdl with automake"
and didn't get anything germane. If it's supposed to be linking against the
stuff in my libltdl library, then I have to use things like
../../libltdl/libltdlc. and ../../libltdl/ltdl.h in my source (#include) and
makefiles, which just strikes me as I'm doing something wrong and missing
something.

Can anyone advise me?

Regards,

Jay West