Re: Consequence of using ld to link libraries on Solaris

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Consequence of using ld to link libraries on Solaris
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 09:46:29 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Gary V.Vaughan wrote:

> >> So, to accommodate this, how about we use cc to create shared
> >> libraries on Solaris?
> >
> > This problem is not specific to Solaris.  The same problem occurs on
> > Digital Unix, or any other OS where libtool doesn't currently use the
> > C compiler to link.
>
> Is there any technical reason why we need to use ld directly anymore?

Since we mostly use the C++ compiler to do linking for the C++ tag, it
seems that there is no good reason that a similar approach can't be
used for C.  When linking using the linker, the library dependencies
are more assured, but we loose all the platform smarts which are
included for free with the compiler.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden