Re: Do autotools support free Microsoft compiler?

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: Do autotools support free Microsoft compiler?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:55:13 +0200

Braden McDaniel wrote:
Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

Microsoft has now made its optimizing C/C++ compilers for Windows
available as a free download.  See
"http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/";.  Do GNU Autotools
work with this compiler?

autoconf, basically. autoconf's check for whether it can use -g is busted, but the effect of this is just a benign warning from the compiler. (I have a patch for this that I submitted to autoconf-patches many months ago; but it was ignored.)

libtool, unfortunately, is quite broken. There is some bitrotted support for cl/lib. But as I understand it this was maimed as a side effect of improvements to gcc/win32 support. I have threatened in the past to fix this; unfortunately, I just haven't found the time.

There is the very, very cool cccl project:

http://cccl.sourceforge.net/

though I don't know whether it works with the free beer compilers from MS. It works quite well with autoqt and VC++ 6 in order to build our theorem prover and link the GUI to qt all from the same autotools build scripts we use under unix.

cheers,
dalibor topic