prefix restrictions

From: Steven F. Killen
Subject: prefix restrictions
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:33:38 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings,

I'm attempting to install Gaim 0.77, which is built with
autoconf/automake.  It builds fine, but I'm having trouble with gmake
install and libtool in particular.

The version distributed with gaim is 1.4.3, but I have 1.5.2 installed
locally on the system as well.  The behavior is exhibited when either is
used.

I've run ./configure and accepted the default prefix, /usr/local, because
that is where the program will be running out of.  However, gmake install
prefix=/tmp/gaim fails.  The specific error is:

libtool: install: error: cannot install `gaim-remote.la' to a directory
not ending in /usr/local/lib/gaim

Two caveats:

1) the prefix needs to be /usr/local to the program's eye,
because that is where it will run out of.  It will actually be installed
to another directory (on afs) and then symlinked in to /usr/local for
sitewide distribution purposes.

2) It can't install to /usr/local, because that's a read-only volume.

Is there a way to tell libtool to ignore the prefix for installation
purposes, or must I copy each file by hand to the directory I wish to
move the files to?  Is there something I'm missing about how libtool
operates?

--
Steve Killen <address@hidden>