Re: When/why does the 'missing' script run

From: Dalibor Topic
Subject: Re: When/why does the 'missing' script run
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:15:19 +0200

Gary V.Vaughan wrote:

Hi Dalibor,

On 23 Apr 2004, at 16:26, Dalibor Topic wrote:

I'm using a patched up libtool in kaffe, and every now and then the 'missing' script ruins a build a la

Making all in libltdl
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/topi/build/libltdl'
cd ../../kaffe/libltdl && /bin/bash /tmp/topi/kaffe/libltdl/missing --run autoconf
configure.ac:53: error: Autoconf version 2.58 or higher is required
aclocal.m4:524: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE is expanded from...
configure.ac:53: the top level
autom4te: /opt/gnu/bin/m4 failed with exit status: 1
gmake[1]: *** [../../kaffe/libltdl/configure] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/topi/build/libltdl'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

any idea why the 'missing' script would get run? And how to stop it from asking for autoconf?

I haven't been able to figure it out from a cursory look. Libtool bootstrap usually works (and takes about 10 minutes to run), but occasionally when I cd into a fresh build tree and ../configure, running make invokes missing to rerun automake which chokes on missing ltmain.sh (which hasn't been built yet obviously). Removing the build tree, rerunning bootstrap and starting again always fixes it though. Weird!

If you get anywhere near figuring it out, please let me know!

Hmm, it turned out that our Kaffe-internal patch to config.guess didn't apply anymore cleanly to the config.guess file in libltdl. That somehow caused configure to attempt to redo the whole automake business for libltdl from scratch, apparently.

cheers,
dalibor topic