Re: Linking against indirect dependencies

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Linking against indirect dependencies
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 10:08:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 26 May 2004, Szombathelyi György wrote:

Yes, I read the thread. I agree that libtool should perform the
optimization you want but I don't see it as something that is a
show-stopper.

I agree that it isn't a show-stopper, but it would be very nice if libtool could handle this. Can someone add this 'feature' to the libtool TODO list?

If it could be made to work reliably, then why not? Unfortunately, it seems to be based on a library nirvana where every other library has been linked just right so that it provides the correct embedded dependencies. It also depends on libtool being 100% accurate in determining if a library is a static library or a shared library since static libraries don't support library dependencies.

Users will be very unhappy if the applications or libraries they link using libtool don't work at all.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden