Adding the right flags to a program which dlopens

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer
Subject: Adding the right flags to a program which dlopens
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:04:58 +0200

[Feel free to redirect to the proper mailing list if it is not a
libtool problem, after all.]

I have a program with binary plugins. It loads them by dlopen(3). I
develop on Debian/Linux (where you need to pass -dl to the linker) and
NetBSD (where you need nothing special). I use Autoconf, Automake and
libtool.

How to I set up the proper passing of flags to the linker?

Since I have AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN in configure.ac, configure tests
currently wether it needs -dl or not. How to retrieve the result of
this test?

Currently, I write in configure.ac:

AC_SUBST(lt_cv_dlopen_libs)

and in Makefile.am:

address@hidden@

lt_cv_dlopen_libs seems undocumented and I wonder if there is a better
solution?