how are files in .libs/ dirs installed?

From: SainTiss
Subject: how are files in .libs/ dirs installed?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 11:28:13 +0200

Hi,

If this is *not* the right mailing list, please be so kind as to direct me
elsewhere...

This may not be the brightest question ever, but I've got a problem here
where, during the build, several files are created in .libs/ subdirs (which I
understand is libtool's responsibility). Files from most of those dirs are
eventually installed during the "make install" phase, but at least one file
from at least one .libs/ dir is not... So I was wondering what "criteria"
need to be met for those files to be installed during "make install"?

To make it more specific, I'm packaging "gambas", for which I had to change
some small things in Makefile.am files, so I now run the following to
generate the Makefiles:
libtoolize --force
aclocal
autoheader
automake -a
autoconf
./configure --with-kde-libraries=/usr/lib/kde3 --prefix=/usr

I ran into another problem with one makefile.am (probably not coincidentally
the one in the dir where the file isn't being installed), with errors like
these:
src/exec/Makefile.am: object `gbx_subr_test.$(OBJEXT)' created both with
libtool and without

Looking in that file, I indeed noticed that many *.c files were listed twice,
both under "gbx_SOURCES" and "lib_gb_la_SOURCES".

So I removed them from gbx_SOURCES, and then all makefiles were successfully
generated...

The build process completes successfully as well, except that, when installing
the resulting rpm, it complains that "lib.gb.so.0" is needed, which should be
provided by the package itself... So I noticed that file is created during
build in src/exec/.libs/, but for some reason it is not installed during
"make install".

Could this have anything to do with me deleting part of the Makefile.am? I
pasted the original file at the bottom...

Many thanks,

Hans

src/exec/Makefile.am:

INCLUDES = -I$(top_srcdir)/src/share @INTL_INC@ @CONV_INC@ @GBX_THREAD_INC@
@INCLTDL@

bin_PROGRAMS = gbx
pkglib_LTLIBRARIES = lib.gb.la

gbx_LDADD = -lm @INTL_LIB@ @CONV_LIB@ @GBX_THREAD_LIB@ @LIBLTDL@
lib_gb_la_LIBADD = -lm @INTL_LIB@ @CONV_LIB@ @LIBLTDL@
lib_gb_la_LDFLAGS = @LD_FLAGS@

gbx_SOURCES = \
 gb_common_buffer.h gb_common_swap.h gb_common_case.h gb_common.c \
 gbx_debug.h \
 gb_error.h gb_error.c \
 gb_alloc.c gb_array.c \
 gbx_stack.h gbx_stack.c \
 gb_buffer.c gbx_replace.c \
 gbx_list.h gbx_list.c \
 gbx_hash.h gbx_hash.c \
 gb_table.c \
 gbx_type.h gbx_type.c \
 gbx_value.h gbx_value.c \
 gbx_subst.h gbx_subst.c \
 gbx_exec.h gbx_exec.c gbx_exec_loop.c gbx_exec_push.c gbx_exec_enum.c
gbx_exec_pop.c \
 gbx_pcode.c \
 gbx_trace.h gbx_trace.c \
 gbx_class_desc.h gbx_class.h gbx_class_init.c gbx_class.c gbx_class_native.c
gbx_class_load.c \
 gbx_event.h gbx_event.c \
 gb_file.h gb_file.c \
 gbx_stream.h gbx_stream.c gbx_stream_direct.c gbx_stream_buffer.c
gbx_stream_memory.c \
 gbx_stream_arch.c gbx_stream_process.c \
 gbx_project.h gbx_project.c \
 gbx_library.h gbx_library.c \
 gbx_subr.h gbx_subr.c \
 gbx_subr_file.c gbx_subr_string.c gbx_subr_conv.c gbx_subr_time.c
gbx_subr_misc.c \
 gbx_math.h gbx_math.c \
 gbx_subr_math_temp.h gbx_subr_math.c \
 gbx_subr_test_temp.h gbx_subr_test.c \
 gbx_api.h gbx_api.c \
 gbx_local.h gbx_local.c \
 gbx_regexp.h gbx_regexp.c \
 gbx_archive.h gbx_archive.c \
 gbx_watch.h gbx_watch.c \
 gbx_expression.h gbx_eval.h gbx_eval.c \
 gbx_compare.h gbx_compare.c \
 gbx.c \
 gbx_number.h gbx_number.c \
 gbx_object.h gbx_object.c \
 gbx_string.h gbx_string.c \
gbx_variant.h gbx_variant.c \
 gbx_date.h gbx_date.c \
 gbx_array.h gbx_array.c \
 gbx_c_class.h gbx_c_class.c \
 gbx_c_collection.h gbx_c_collection.c \
 gbx_c_error.h gbx_c_error.c \
 gbx_c_gambas.h gbx_c_gambas.c \
 gbx_c_file.h gbx_c_file.c \
 gbx_c_application.h gbx_c_application.c \
 gbx_c_array.h gbx_c_array.c \
 gbx_c_process.h gbx_c_process.c

lib_gb_la_SOURCES = \
[...]
 gbx_class_info.c

- --
Ark Linux - Linux for the Masses (http://arklinux.org)

If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it
 -- Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Capitalism:
You don't have any cows. The bank will not lend you money to buy cows,
because you don't have any cows to put up as collateral.

Representative Democracy:
You have two cows. Your neighbors pick someone to tell you who gets the milk.

In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?

Hans Schippers
2LIC INF
UA 2003-2004