Libtool and MacOS X

From: Marianne Spiller
Subject: Libtool and MacOS X
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:47:22 +0200

Hi,

I have many problems compiling on my MacOS X 10.3 system; there is a

/usr/bin/libtool (GNU libtool 1.4.3)
/usr/bin/glibtool (GNU libtool 1.5)
/usr/local/bin/libtool (GNU libtool 1.4.3)
/usr/bin/ranlib -> /usr/bin/libtool

Every time I try to compile anything, I get errors like this:
ranlib: warning: cannot infer operation mode from `.libs/*.a'
ranlib: you must specify a MODE

Or "libtool: unregognized option `-arch_only'" and so on. Now I'm not
able just to compile a jpeglib or openssl, and I don't understand why.
And it's even not possible to compile another libtool - the ranlib error
occurs.
Can anyone please explain my this?

  Marianne

--