libtool and gcj static libraries

From: Shaun Jackman
Subject: libtool and gcj static libraries
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 14:22:44 -0700

I have been unable to create a static library of java sources using
libtool.

$ cat Makefile.am
noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libhello.la
libhello_la_SOURCES = HelloWorld.java

$ make libhello.la
/bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link gcj-3.4 -g -O2 -o libhello.la HelloWorld.lo
rm -fr .libs/libhello.la
creating libhello.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libhello.la && ln -s ../libhello.la libhello.la)

It does not generate libhello.a. I've tried changing noinst to lib, in
which case I get a dynamic library and no static library. I've tried
adding -static to the LDFLAGS, which also doesn't work.

Can libtool be used to make a static library of java sources?

Please cc me in your reply. Thanks!
Shaun