Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:13:44 +0900

Joe Orton wrote:

Is there any chance of getting a libtool 1.5 release including support
for the AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS macro?  I keep having to recommend that people
stick with libtool 1.4 for generating configure scripts.

If I recall correctly, it was decided that it was more a new feature than a bugfix. Also with libtool-2.0 coming "real soon now" (and libtool-2.0 has such a feature already), it seems unlikely that there will be any further releases from branch-1-5. If there is to be one, we can discuss this at that time.

Now, even though configure takes a fair bit longer, there are (as far as I know) fewer bugs in 1.5.8 than there were in 1.4.x, so I am disappointed that you see fit to recommend the older libtool. Maybe you can ensure that the rpm from redhat has this patch and then you can simply recommend that everyone use redhat :-).

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com