Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.

From: Joe Orton
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:26:37 +0100

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 12:13:44AM +0900, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>
> >Is there any chance of getting a libtool 1.5 release including support
> >for the AC_LIBTOOL_TAGS macro?  I keep having to recommend that people
> >stick with libtool 1.4 for generating configure scripts.
>
> If I recall correctly, it was decided that it was more a new feature than a
> bugfix. Also with libtool-2.0 coming "real soon now" (and libtool-2.0 has
> such a feature already), it seems unlikely that there will be any further
> releases from branch-1-5. If there is to be one, we can discuss this at
> that time.
>
> Now, even though configure takes a fair bit longer, there are (as far as I
> know) fewer bugs in 1.5.8 than there were in 1.4.x, so I am disappointed
> that you see fit to recommend the older libtool.

It always disappoints me to do so too, that's why I'm making this plea
:) The fact that libtool 1.5-based configure scripts fail on systems
without a C++ compiler is a severe regression which outweighs all the
great features and fixes since 1.4, unfortunately.

> Maybe you can ensure that the rpm from redhat has this patch and then
> you can simply recommend that everyone use redhat :-).

A behaviour and interface change like this isn't something I'd like to
advise our libtool maintainer to patch in.  Making libtool have
different behaviour in different distributions and vs upstream is a
cause of great headaches for project maintainers.

joe