Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:00:12 +0900

Daniel Reed wrote:

On 2004-08-11T10:06+0900, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
) Daniel Reed wrote:
) >   >   libtool-1.4.2-multilib.patch
) >   This patch is needed for multilib support.  It has been sent upstream
) >   but basically rejected in its current form as being too Red Hat specific.
) > [Is this still the case? Is there an alternate solution for this problem, or
) >  is .multilib still the only one?]

Thanks for the url. I have to agree with Scott, looks like adding this patch here would be a bad thing, it may break other linux distros. Someone, someday, will come up with a generic way of doing this that works on all flavours of GNU/linux. They don't seem to have done so yet.

) >   >   libtool-1.4.2-demo.patch (on x86_64 s390 s390x)
) >   Yes, this is just to disable several nopic tests: afaicr nopic is
) >   meaningless on those archs bicbw... ie a patch should really go upstream
) >   to skip those tests on those archs I guess.
) Well, if you can be bothered to make a real patch, we might look at it. A
) patch that simply removes tests from the Makefile.am is not a good thing[tm]
:).

Would it be better to keep the test from running with an Automake
conditional, or disable it in the test script itself? (I see tests being
controlled both ways in Libtool.)

tests/demo-nopic.test already skips itself if `config.guess` begins with
"hppa"; should I just extend that check to skip x86_64 and s390?

I guess so.

) >   >   libtool-1.5-testfailure.patch
) >   This was contributed by Owen: would probably be worth trying to
) >   push it upstream - though I'm not entirely clear why/if it is needed.
) I can not understand the point of this one. Perhaps Owen can explain why it
) is needed.

This was to address a warning generated by Automake. The affected files were
being built to be included in both an ar library and a libtool library.

demo/Makefile.am:
   9: libhello_la_SOURCES = hello.c foo.c
 125: libhell0_a_SOURCES = hello.c foo.c

pdemo/Makefile.am:
   9: libhello_la_SOURCES = longer_file_name_hello.c longer_file_name_foo.c
longer_file_name_foo2.c
 125: libhell0_a_SOURCES = longer_file_name_hello.c longer_file_name_foo.c

Owen's patch duplicates hello.c to hell0.c and makes libhell0_a_SOURCES use
that instead of hello.c, etc.  The way I work around this in naim is to add
an empty _CFLAGS for the libtool target (I believe this workaround was
proposed on this list). Which would be more acceptable?

Ah, I see, I'll look at this later too.

Thank you,
Peter
--