Re: Convenieve libraries and applications.

From: Carlo Wood
Subject: Re: Convenieve libraries and applications.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 04:00:28 +0200

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 06:00:00PM -0700, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:49:29PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:
> > I think this is what the -export-dynamic flag is for.
>
> I do believe that exports symbols from a shared lib.  He has static libs.
>
> whole_archive_flag_spec is the variable in libtool to look at, but
> that's about all I know about it.

whole_archive_flag_spec is a libtool internal variable that specifies
to libtool how to import all symbols in a convenience library;
however - that is never even looked at when you are linking an
application - only when you are creating a shared library.

I think this is a bug, because clearly an application that dlopen's
other libraries is no different from shared libraries in this regard:
you want all symbols to be export just as well.

--
Carlo Wood <address@hidden>