Re: Convenieve libraries and applications.

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: Convenieve libraries and applications.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 12:09:10 +0900

Carlo Wood wrote:

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 06:00:00PM -0700, Jacob Meuser wrote:

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:49:29PM -0700, Howard Chu wrote:

I think this is what the -export-dynamic flag is for.

-export-dynamic is to export symbols from an application so that they are available to runtime loaded code.

GNU libtool convenience libraries are, as far as I know, only designed to use the whole archive when they are used in creating shared libraries. They are built using position independent code for that purpose. While you can use them when building applications, that is not their purpose.

There is no way to do what you want, at the moment, using libtool (to my knowledge). "convenience" libraries are just treated as ordinary libraries when creating an executable. I suggest that you reference the symbols in the executable so that your linker will keep them around. If you want to add this feature to libtool (it sounds like it may be useful)... send patches.

Peter
--
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com