Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:19:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

Well, the difference, in my little mind at least, is that the commercial unixes can all be identified in libtool using $host, but linux will have the same $host regardless of being debian, redhat, suse, etc... So the need here, specifically is to identify the directories used by various linux distributions, so that adding something which satisfies RedHat (in this case), does not break debian.

In other words, the Linux folks should put their heads together and agree on a standard way of doing things, right? :-)

I agree that the proprietary Unix vendors are much easier to deal with and that OS identification/version tests should be sufficient in many cases.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden