Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.

From: Joe Orton
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:28:26 +0100

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 03:57:59AM +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 18:12, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
> > Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> > > Seems like it to me.
> I am not sure. Solaris-gcc applies traditional multilibs, i.e. it is
> using multilib subdirs (A subdir of PREFIX/lib).

There is precedent for doing it both ways: IRIX 6.2 and later have
/usr/lib, /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64 for the three supported ABIs (O32,
N32 and N64 respectively).

> How do other Linux vendors (Debian, SuSE etc.) handle this issue?
> I would expect them to be facing the same problems as RH and to have
> similar work-arounds applied to libtool.

SuSE also ship biarch systems with separate 64-bit /usr/lib64 and 32-bit
/usr/lib, I believe Mandrake do too, and I believe Debian haven't worked
out how (or whether) to do biarch yet.

joe