Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.

From: Tim Mooney
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released.
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:13:04 -0500 (CDT)

In regard to: Re: GNU Libtool 1.5.8 released., Bob Friesenhahn said (at...:

When building a multilibed library, a variant of the library could be
built for every possible architectural option, or a subset of the
libraries could be built.  It seems to me that being able to choose
from a subset of possible library build options is valuable since
many build options may offer no value to the user.  I am not sure
how options would be presented to the installer of the package, but it should be as easy as possible to select which
variants are build, and it should even be possible for the person
who installs the library to define custom multilib variants to
satisfy local requirements.

I've always envisioned that it would work very similarly to
--{enable,disable}-{shared,static} -- a package that uses libtool
gets a bunch of new configure options "for free".  What those
options should be is less clear, especially since there will be
differences in what's available for different platforms and OSes.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              address@hidden