Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5.8 on Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 17:41:07 -0700

Hi,

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 17:25, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jacob Meuser wrote:
> >>
> >> After a long time playing arround I solved my two problems as follow:
> >>
> >> 1.- Multiple Inclusion: comment out line 'postdeps="-lstdc++ -lm -lgcc_s
> >> -lgcc_s" ' from /usr/local/binlibtool .
> >
> > this is because libtool tries to second guess the C++ compiler.

How is it doing that?  It does the exact same thing the C++ compiler
would do.  It doesn't try to guess anything.

> > I bet it would work if output_verbose_link_cmd='echo'.
> >
> > what is the use/need for this anyway, to see what the compiler will
> > add on it's own, and then add that explicitly?
>
> For a long time libtool linked C++ using the system linker.  This
> support was necessary then.  Perhaps it is no longer needed?

>From what I recall, we had to do this to get C++ exception handling to
work correctly.  Gary and Bob, does this ring a bell?

It'd be great if doing is no longer necessary since it is a point of
contention among many folks.  To be honest, I was never really sure why
needed to do this.  I was going on Alexandre's word when I introduced
this code a few years ago.  :-)

-Ossama